Well, it is that time of year again: flu season. It happens every year whether we like it or not. It may seem unavoidable when you are surrounded by sick family members or coworkers, but there are actually several ways to protect yourself. Here are five everyday actions you can take to help you become a flu fighter:
1. Wash your hands. Soap and water are the best options, but you can also use an alcohol-based hand rub. There are small hand sanitizers that are easy to carry in a purse, backpack or a pocket, when you are on the go.
2. Take care of your body. Getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of fluids, exercising and eating a healthy diet are all important ways to ensure that your immune system is functioning optimally and is ready to combat disease.
3. Clean and disinfect surfaces. We touch hundreds of objects throughout the day, from our office desk to exercise equipment at the gym. These objects may be contaminated with germs and should be disinfected before using them.
4. Avoid touching your face. Germs spread when we touch our eyes, nose and mouth. It is important to be aware of this, and try to keep your hands away from your face or use a tissue when necessary.
5. Limit contact with sick people. This can be difficult when sick people are in your home or your work, but try to avoid close contact as much as possible.