Monday, January 13, 2014

Mommy Blog - When 'Life Happens'

Since my last post, I have had child #4. I was feeling pretty confident leading up to his birth that I could keep the early morning exercise going. I had it all planned out that I would go to workout classes on certain days and times... THEN LIFE HAPPENS!

I will be the first to admit, it's been harder to get a routine going this time around. I am really blessed that I could return to normal activity so soon after childbirth. I started walking with the kids on day 2, and went back to the gym on day 10. While I want to get my body back in good physical condition again, it ultimately comes down to sanity. That 1.5 hours is my time! It’s the one time I am able to do my own thing without interruptions; like a little one tugging on my shirt or settling arguments. Let’s just say everyone is happier when I get my exercise.

Emily with husband Darin, and their children
Madelynn, Owen, Isabelle, and Garett.
Even though I know how much exercise helps my sanity, still, it's been a struggle this time around. I am sure we can all ramble off reasons why our exercise is not as intense or regular as it should be, but I am still determined. I have chosen at least 3 days a week that I will get up and go to the gym by 4:30am. It might be following a restless night, but is one more hour of sleep really going to take away that fatigue? I have also equipped my computer with 4-5 different exercise videos that I can do on other days. Oh yes, the videos can also be used on days when I might successfully talk myself out of waking up early… it has been known to happen.

So, who's with me? I am not suggesting you have to get up at 4:30 am, that is just what works best for me and my schedule. What I am asking is that you pick at least 3 days a week, with a specific time, and write them on your calendar or in your phone. For the remainder of January, commit that you will stick to it every week. Then come February, we will re-evaluate and keep it going. If you need ideas of what to do, speak with your Orriant Health Coach℠ or check out our awesome Tabata workouts. Recruiting an exercise buddy is always a good idea too.

In closing, New Year's resolutions are not something we vocalize, do for a month, then feel guilty because we “failed”. They are goals that we set, write down, and revisit on a regular basis. Make sure you feel confident and excited about what they will do for you. Envision the change! Until February, here's to making a routine happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment