Spring Farro Salad
- 2 cups uncooked farro (or substitute with barley)
- 1 medium red onion, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt 1 cup of
- ¼" cubed fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced, pitted kalamata olives
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Add the farro, one onion half, garlic, handful of parsley and salt along with
2¾ cups water to a 2 quart pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off burner and let sit covered, for 5 more minutes. Discard the onion, garlic and large pieces of parsley. Spread out faro on a rimmed sheet pan and let cool completely (do not skip this step or the mozzarella will melt into the finished dish).
2. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegars and honey to prepare the dressing. Finely chop the remaining onion half. Add onion, cooled farro, mozzarella, kalamata olives, tomatoes, remaining tablespoon of parsley, and basil to a deep bowl. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and stir well to combine, using a long wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Season with salt and pepper.
3. The salad is now ready to serve! It can also be made and stored in the fridge, covered up to one day before serving.