These cookies are great way to provide fiber from oats and whole wheat flour to regulate blood sugar, and sneak in the fruits and vegetables for those picky eaters in the house! Great for a grab and go breakfast or afternoon snack.
Healthy Carrot & Apple Breakfast Oat Cookies
(Adapted from Ciara @ My Fussy Eater)
- 2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup – oats
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1 large – egg
- 1/3 cup – coconut oil
- 1/4 cup – honey
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated – carrot
- 1 cup, grated – apple or pear
- 1 medium – banana
- 1/3 cup – chocolate chips, semisweet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with grease-proof paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate smaller bowl beat the egg. Add the melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract and stir well. Add this mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the grated carrot, grated apple and mashed banana and again stir until everything is well mixed together. If using the chocolate chips, add now.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch sized balls. The dough should make approximately 20 balls. Place each on the cookie sheet and press down lightly with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.