What can you do to make change a reality?
- Start Small: The worst thing you can do when trying to make a big change in your life is biting off more than you can chew. This can lead to feelings of failure, disappointment and a lack of motivation to persist.
- Write Down Your Motivations: If you know why you are making a change, it is a lot easier to do the hard work to see the results. These can also serve as reminders when it gets tough to continue (because it will!) and help you to persevere.
- Pick Milestones: By picking smaller goals, you can make incremental progress and see how you are moving towards your ultimate achievement. Before you know it, you are well on our way to seeing the big change become a reality.
- Be Consistent: It is often said it takes 21 days to create a new habit or to break a bad one. Pack Your Persistence! As you power through and dedicate your efforts to making changes, that are important to you, you will find they become habit, even second nature. The longer you are consistent, the easier it will be to sustain.
- Be Patient with Yourself: Nobody has ever said change is easy, and if they did, they are lying. It is possible making a new change will be something you have to work at, so don’t be hard on yourself when progress does not come at the pace you have envisioned. If you fall short, keep going! As long as you are striving to move forward, progress will happen.
Change may be difficult, challenging and even scary. However, you have it within you to achieve the impossible. In the words of Audrey Hepburn, “Nothing is impossible. The word says I’m possible.”