Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Make Summer Treats Tasty And Nutritious


My last post was about how to instill in your kids the importance of eating healthy for health, not appearance. Since it is Summer time, I have a great way to introduce kids to a variety of fruit and vegetable flavors. Help them to see that eating healthy is CREATIVE and FUN!

You have probably made fruit smoothies as a quick to go breakfast option. Have you ever thought about pouring that into some popsicle molds for a refreshing treat?

I found my popsicle molds at a discount store, online and in the seasonal aisle at the grocery store. They come in all shapes and sizes. Recently, I discovered some silicone molds that act like "push pops" and reusable BPA free zip pouches (like "Otter Pops").  If you don't want to invest in molds, you can use ice cube trays and insert traditional popsicle sticks.

I typically just add a little of this, a little of that to our smoothies, including spinach, kale, various fruits, and sometimes a little plain yogurt for a creamier treat. When our produce is just about to turn, or showing signs of "hurry eat me before I'm too old", I'll cut them up and put them in freezer bags. Then, they are ready to toss into the blender.

My kids have fun pouring the mixture into the molds, then even more excited a couple hours later when they can enjoy the treat. I feel a lot better knowing they are getting quality nutrients versus the high sugar, high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingredients of the store bought popsicles.
Here is a recipe I found to utilize the fruit and vegetable combination:
Strawberry Spinach Pops
Ingredients (Makes 6, five inch long popsicles):
·      1 ½  cups of spinach
·      1 kiwi
·      2 ½ cups of frozen strawberries
·      1 frozen ripe banana
·      ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
·      ½ cup water
Directions
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into popsicle molds and let set in the freezer for 3 hours. Insert popsicle sticks into each mold, and let set for an additional 4 hours, or until completely frozen. Take one on the next sunny day, and enjoy this sweet treat!


Nutritional information, per 1 popsicle:
55 calories, .4 g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 14g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 7g sugar, 1g protein


No comments:

Post a Comment