Friday, January 8, 2016
Quick, Creamy, A hint of spice, and heart healthy! Give this recipe a try and warm up during these cold winter days!
Avocado Chicken Tortilla Soup
(recipe and photo courtesy of Tip Hero)
Ingredients & Instructions:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil oil
1 cup chopped green onions
1 jalapeño, finely chopped (Remove seeds to decrease spice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 large avocados, pits removed, scooped out of the shell
1 Roma tomato, diced (or you could top with salsa)
Tortilla chips, monterey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, jalapeño and garlic. Saute about 2 minutes until the onion has started to soften.
3. Add in the chicken breasts, cumin, and chicken broth. Let simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10-15 minutes (it depends on how thick the pieces of chicken were).
4. Remove the chicken from the pot, then shred it into smaller pieces when it has cooled enough to handle.
5. In a glass blender jar, puree the cilantro and 1 ½ of the avocados with a portion of the broth until creamy. Add the rest of the broth and pulse a few times to combine. VERY IMPORTANT:REMOVE THE STOPPER FROM THE BLENDER LID AND COVER THE LID WITH A KITCHEN TOWEL AND HOLD IT DOWN FIRMLY. IF YOU LEAVE THE STOPPER IN AND THE LIQUID IS TOO HOT, PRESSURE CAN BUILD UP AND THE CONTENTS OF THE BLENDER COULD BLOW THE LID OFF AND COVER YOU AND YOUR KITCHEN IN HOT SOUP. Alternatively, if you have an immersion blender, you could blend the avocado into the broth inside the pot.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper Add the broth back to the pot if you used a regular blender.
7. Stir in the chicken and lime juice.
8.Garnish with the remaining 1/2 of chopped avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, salsa or fresh tomato, additional chile, etc etc.