Monday, February 17, 2014

Mommy Blog - We reach our goal....but not always.

It is February!  How did the 3 days a week of exercise commitment turn out for you? What challenges did you face? What successes did you accomplish? What did you learn? I'd love to hear comment below.

I met the goal, some weeks by the skin of my teeth, but I made it. Here's what I discovered:

1. I still haven't learned that arguing with myself about exercising or staying in bed is not productive. Just get up already and stop wasting time!

2. I have let the busy schedule of my day keep me from eating well. I need to have more quick on the go, healthy proteins available.

3. I have to be flexible, but at the same time keep firm to my commitment. Life happened and my plans for exercise didn't always happen as I planned. If I let myself get stressed or aggravated over it, it ruined my day and I was likely less productive. So, I must be committed to my exercise, but flexible in which day and what type. Always have a plan B.

So this month I'd like to focus on Plan B.

Here's an idea for Plan B. “Hit the Deck” workout (should take 15-20 min. if doing multiple rounds).
Try doing it just before you hop in the shower or even let the kids join in. It's short, intense, and productive!

This workout uses a deck of cards. You can choose a deck of Face cards, Uno cards, Rook cards.... etc.
Assign one exercise to each color/suit. Then you will perform repetitions of the exercise represented by the number on the card (if using face cards, all royalty are 10.). As soon as you complete one card, flip over the next so that you are going through the exercises one right after another. Shuffle the deck and let the fun begin! Try to make it through the cards once. Then as you get stronger you can try 2, 3 rounds etc. You can also change the exercises that you do for each round. 

Here's an example:

Round 1: (repeat or go to round 2)

Hearts: squats

Spades: Push ups

Clubs: Tricep dips (use a chair, stair, or foot board)

Diamonds: bicep curls (If you don't have dumbells, use exercise bands, book, gallon of milk, canned food, a child :))

Round 2:

Hearts: burpees (Drop into a squat position with your hands on the ground. Kick your feet back, while keeping your arms extended. Immediately return your feet to the squat position. Stand up from the squat position.) 

Spades: switch lunges (Bring one leg behind you.  Lower the front knee to a 90 degree angle. Stand up.  Switch legs).

Clubs: sit ups

Diamonds: thrusters (holding dumbells at shoulder level, squat down as far as comfortable.  Stand up tall.  Then press dumbells overheard with straight arms.)

Finish up with a plank (get in push up position with the body's weight borne on forearms, elbows, and toes.). Try holding for at least 30 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, and repeat 6 times.

If you want to focus in on a certain muscle group, and don't know an exercise, comment below and I'll get back to you with an option. Also, if you need a modification for a certain exercise, I can provide that too.





No comments:

Post a Comment